This site is dedicated to the former staff and alumni of the Kallman Home for Children..
which was located in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn-NY
(This property built in 1930)
8515 Ridge Boulevard
Brooklyn, New York 11209
Telephone: Shore Road 85660
(No longer in service)
This website is also dedicated to my mother, Mrs. Dahl (Bea), who was the home’s laundry supervisor from 1948-1958. My brother John and I (Arnold Dahl) lived at the home during the same time period – but not always with her. Mom passed away in Tulsa, Oklahoma on July 6th, 2007 – four days after her 99th birthday. Mom lived a very fulfilled, happy and healthy life. She got her driver’s license at 60 years of age and loved “her cars and the independence that driving gave her”. Her sense of humor is greatly missed. (That’s mom on the right in the photo, please click to enlarge).
SOME OF THE INTERESTING CONTENT:
- Photo Album (“Name that kid” – you’ll love these old photos)
- How some of our alumni have served since leaving the home (the military, Salvation Army, ministry and social work)
- “Looking for Lost Friends” – where YOU can list names of other Kallman childhood friends you are trying to locate.
- “Things I remember…” (where visitors can share some of their memories from the home)
- where you can have your old photos, concert programs, and other memorabilia included on this site.
What’s New (as of April 2013):
- “Posts, Letters, and Updates” section added to separate letters individual letters and present them in chronological order
- Ability for anyone to comment on “Posts” and “Pages” added
- Concert Programs added (1945, 1949, 1950, 1958)
- Entire site redone
- New photos added to Scenes from the Kallman
What’s New (as of July 2009):
- More photos of earlier bands and members
- Other band related documents such as concert lists and personal letters
- Additional home history documents
- More personal memories